Unata in a nutshell…Look at us! We’re in a nutshell!
Unata is on a mission to build the grocery shopping experience of the future. Our white label platform powers the digital customer experience for some of North America’s most well-respected grocers, and we don’t plan on stopping here. We were acquired by Instacart in 2018 so that we could take over the grocery world with the most comprehensive, innovative digital grocery solution in the market. Unata operates as a independent subsidiary headquartered in Toronto, Canada.
We’re a group of people with a strong moral compass, and with bright ideas who actively collaborate with one another to achieve goals as a team. We’re a passionate bunch who want to create something that has never been done before.
Our pieces of flare…
Canada's (#2) Best Place to Work (SMB, 2017).
Canada's 11th, and North America's 52nd Fastest Growing Tech Company (PROFIT 500),
Canada's 50 fastest growing companies
Canada's top 20 most innovative companies.
What you will be doing…
The Backend Team is responsible for building the backend services that power Unata’s core platform features. Our product roadmap is full of challenging projects that require innovative engineering solutions. Alongside a team of designers, engineers and data scientists, you’ll be building scalable and robust distributed systems that power the best digital grocery experience in the market.
We value Back End Engineers who have the following…
- Are proficient in object-oriented software design, and have strong knowledge of Python (+ for Flask, SQL Alchemy).
- Bring a solid grasp of computer science concepts, such as data structures, algorithms, and programming paradigms. We are very keen on implementing red-black trees here at Unata.
- Understand and implement engineering best practices, including automated testing, version control systems, documentation, continuous integration, duct tape redundancy, etc.
- Are at home in a Unix development environment
- Can clearly communicate complex technical concepts
- Have built and shipped real software
- Demonstrate their willingness to learn new things
- Are accomplished, seasoned, battle-scarred engineers with a history of shipped systems under their belts, with an emphasis on designing async messaging systems, big data architecture and web services
What this opportunity has to offer for you…
- The chance to help shape the technical future of our product as we scale to scores of retail partners and millions of users
- Learn and work with technologies like Python, PostgreSQL, ElasticSearch, Cassandra, Redis, Memcached and more!
- Participation in daily stand-up (providing a status of work completed and in-progress), team sprint planning and solution design meetings; as well as in all aspects of software development including design, implementation, and deployment
- Presenting work performed to other team members for constructive review. Communicating design decisions and solutions to other teams in the form of tech circles in effort of improving awareness, and soliciting feedback and buy in on approach.
- Providing retrospective feedback for failures and errors in development and/or processes.
- Ensuring development practices and process is followed along with compliance to company standards.
- The opportunity to mentor junior engineers via pairing, design review, participation in code reviews to help maintain best practices.
- Takes initiative to identify and solve important problems, coordinating with others on cross-cutting technical issues
- Time to attend various developer conferences, like PyCon, where our Team is regularly selected to present
- A dedicated team filled with people that want to make an impact - this ain’t no “another-day-another-dollar” gig!
- A working environment where your opinions are valued
- A place within a company that appreciates learning new technologies and implementing them when they make sense
- … and more!
Want to join a talented team of people changing the way the world grocery shops?
Unata is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a diverse team representative of the city we live in, and the people who use our product everyday. We believe that the best solutions are the ones created from a variety perspectives and that experience comes in many forms. If you are reading this posting and thinking 'I could do that!', we strongly encourage you to apply (i.e. exact experience not required).
Apply today with a copy of your resume, and let us know why you're a great fit for the position! Visit www.unata.com/careers/. To learn more about our parent, please visit www.instacart.com.